has not been incorporated in the Department of Justice accessibility standards and therefore is not enforceable.
12.2 Entrances and Security Systems.
12.2.2 Security Systems. Where security systems are provided at public or other entrances required to be accessible by 12.2.1 or 12.2.2, an accessible route complying with 4.3 shall be provided through fixed security barriers. Where security barriers incorporate equipment such as metal detectors, fluoroscopes, or other similar devices which cannot be made accessible, an accessible route shall be provided adjacent to such security screening devices to facilitate an equivalent circulation path.
12.3* Visiting Areas. In non-contact visiting areas where inmates or detainees are separated from visitors, the following elements, where provided, shall be accessible and located on an accessible route complying with 4.3:
- (1) Cubicles and Counters. Five percent, but not less than one, of fixed cubicles shall comply with 4.32 on both the visitor and detainee or inmate sides. Where counters are provided, a portion at least 36 in (915 mm) in length shall comply with 4.32 on both the visitor and detainee or inmate sides.
- EXCEPTION: At non-contact visiting areas not serving accessible cells or rooms, the requirements of 12.3(1) do not apply to the inmate or detainee side of cubicles or counters.
(2) Partitions. Solid partitions or security glazing separating visitors from inmates or detainees shall comply with 7.2(3). Appendix Note
12.4 Holding and Housing Cells or Rooms: Minimum Number.
12.4.1* Holding Cells and General Housing Cells or Rooms. At least two percent, but not less than one, of the total number of housing or holding cells or rooms provided in a facility shall comply with 12.5. Appendix Note
12.4.3* Accessible Cells or Rooms for Persons with Hearing Impairments. In addition to the requirements of 12.4.1, two percent, but not less than one, of general housing or holding cells or rooms equipped with audible emergency warning systems or permanently installed telephones within the cell or room shall comply with the applicable requirements of 12.6. Appendix Note
12.4.4 Medical Care Facilities. Medical care facilities providing physical or medical treatment or care shall comply with the applicable requirements of section 6.1, 6.3 and 6.4, if persons may need assistance in emergencies and the period of stay may exceed 24 hours. Patient bedrooms or cells required to be accessible under 6.1 and 6.3 shall be provided in addition to any medical isolation cells required to be accessible under 12.4.2.
12.4.5 Alterations to Cells or Rooms. (Reserved.)
12.5 Requirements for Accessible Cells or Rooms.
12.5.1 General. Cells or rooms required to be accessible by 12.4 shall comply with 12.5.
12.5.2* Minimum Requirements. Accessible cells or rooms shall be on an accessible route complying with 4.3. Where provided to serve accessible housing or holding cells or rooms, the following elements or spaces shall be accessible and connected by an accessible route. Appendix Note
- (1) Doors and Doorways. All doors and doorways on an accessible route shall comply with 4.13.
- EXCEPTION: Compliance with 4.13.9, 4.13.10, 4.13.11 and 4.13.12 is not required at entrances, doors, or doorways that are operated only by security personnel or where security requirements prohibit full compliance with these provisions.
(2)* Toilet and Bathing Facilities. At least one toilet facility shall comply with 4.22 and one bathing facility shall comply with 4.23. Privacy screens shall not intrude on the clear floor space required for fixtures and the accessible route. Appendix Note
(3)* Beds. Beds shall have maneuvering space at least 36 in (915 mm) wide along one side. Where more than one bed is provided in a room or cell, the maneuvering space provided at adjacent beds may overlap. Appendix Note
(4) Drinking Fountains and Water Coolers. At least one drinking fountain shall comply with 4.15.
(5) Fixed or Built-in Seating or Tables. Fixed or built-in seating, tables and counters shall comply with 4.32.
(6) Fixed Benches. At least one fixed bench shall be mounted at 17 in to 19 in (430 mm to 485 mm) above the finish floor and provide back support (e.g., attachment to wall). The structural strength of the bench attachments shall comply with 4.26.3.
(7) Storage. Fixed or built-in storage facilities, such as cabinets, shelves, closets, and drawers, shall contain storage space complying with 4.25.
(8) Controls. All controls intended for operation by inmates shall comply with 4.27.
(9) Accommodations for persons with hearing impairments required by 12.4.3 and complying with 12.6 shall be provided in accessible cells or rooms.
12.6 Visual Alarms and Telephones.