Not sure what to search for? Try our Keyword Searches.
Effective Communication Requirements
- Communication-Related Interpretation Letters - The Department of Justice responds to citizen requests for interpretation of the ADA. At this link you will find a selection of those interpretation letters specifically related to communication issues.
- Communication Settlements and Consent Agreements - The ADA is continuously interpreted through court settlements and decisions. At this link you will find a selection of those settlement agreements and letters of finding specifically related to communication issues.
- Title II State and Local Government - Communications Requirements
- Title III Public Accommodation - Communications Requirements
- III-4.3000 Auxiliary Aids - Effective Communication
- Limitations and Alternatives: Undue Burden.
- Accommodation Ideas for Vision Impairments
- What is Audio Description?
- Audio Description Home Page
- Alternate Formats
- Accommodation Ideas for Speech-Language Impairments
- Speech and Language Impairments:
- Resource Guide for speech/language impairments
Language and Speech Impairments in Adult Education
Deaf/ Hard of Hearing
- Providing a Sign Language Interpreter - This document provides guidance in deciding whether to have an interpreter present to assist with providing effective communication.
- Communication Accessibility in the Courts - General information on ADA compliance with legalities concerning individuals with communication disabilities.
- Am I always entitled to an interpreter? - A very brief discussion of the conditions under which a sign language interpreter may be required.
- Communicating with Deaf/Hard or Hearing Individuals (Q & A) - An overview of issues relating to communicating with individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
- Closed Captioning - This fact sheet describes the benefits of and requirements for closed captioning of television programming
- Accommodation Ideas for Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Disability Rights Office for Federal Communications Commission
- Legal Services: Attorneys, Deaf Clients, and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Real Time Captioning Information
- NCI's Real-Time Captioning
- Effective Communication Techniques - This short document lists effective techniques for communicating with people with various disabilities.
- Communicating with People with Disabilities - Additional material on effective techniques for communicating with people with various disabilities. (PDF document, requires Acrobat Reader)
- Providing Effective Communication - Provides descriptions of various techniques for providing effective communications. (PDF document, requires Acrobat Reader)
- Effective Communication: Faculty and Students with Disabilities - Specific recommendations for effective communications between students and faculty.
- How to Establish Effective Communication Procedures - This list provides guidance for developing a formal written communication procedure.
- Information Resources By Specific Disabilities
- Accommodation Information By Disability
- Accessibility of Emergency Video Programming to Persons with Hearing and Visual Disabilities
General Communications Documents
Telecommunications Relay Service Documents
- Frequently Asked Questions about Communications and Disability - This list of FAQ's covers many aspects of communications and disability.
- Hearing Aid Compatibility for Telephone Equipment - This fact sheet describes the requirements for telephone equipment to be compatible with hearing aids.
- Accessibility of Wireless Telephones - This fact sheet describes the requirements for digital wireless telephones to be compatible with hearing aids.
- Closed Captioning - This fact sheet describes the benefits of and requirements for closed captioning of television programming.
- Consumers' Guide to Telecommunications Relay Service - This document provides a consumer guide to the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS), which enables standard voice telephone users to talk to people who have difficulty hearing or speaking on the telephone.
- Telecommunications Relay Service Frequently Asked Questions - A one-page list of frequently asked questions about relay services.
- Telecommunication Relay Service Regulations - The FCC regulations implementing the Title IV Relay Service requirements of the ADA.
- Speech to Speech Services - This document provides a list of toll free phone numbers to access the service called Speech-To-Speech (STS) in your state. STS is a form of Relay Services that provides Communications Assistants (CAs) for people with speech disabilities who have difficulty being understood on the phone.
- Payphone Relay Service - One-page summary of payphone relay services.
- 7-1-1 Service for TRS - This short document describes the new 7-1-1 service for accessing the telecommunication relay service from anywhere in the US.
|Our goal is to provide the best possible service. If you didn't find the answer to your ADA question, have a recommendation for new material, or any other suggestions or comments, we welcome your feedback. Please submit your questions, suggestions, and comments on our Feedback Form.